• Languages: Python, R, SQL
• Packages: Numpy, Scikit-learn, Pandas, Flask, Scipy, NLTK, Keras, Tensorflow, PyTorch, spaCy
• Tools: D3.js, HTML, Bash, Markdown, LATEX, Tableau, Jupyter Notebooks, AWS, Spark
• AI/ML Engineer
Dec 2018 - Present
◦ Working in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary AI research team catering to customers across early stage
drug discovery RD, focusing on leading their execution. I have worked on projects within the protein
engineering space and identifying genetics targets for disease.
◦ Solutions involved designing and implementing CNN’s, Transformers, and Deep Learning to Rank
solutions to problems.
◦ Experience involves creating new capability while also directly contributing to existing programs.
Designing both the models themselves as well as the end to end workflows to wrap models around with.
Insight Data Science
• Health Data Science Fellow
Jun 2018 - Jul 2018
◦ As a data science consultant, created an algorithm to find all matching clinical trials for a patient.
◦ Applied natural language processing, clustering, and classification techniques to deliver a web-app that
will be incorporated into a biomedical/clinical platform targeted towards doctors.
Graduate Researchers Interested in Data Hackathon
• Best First Time Hackers Project
◦ Utilized Gradient Boosted Models and water quality data from Flint, MI to build a model that used data
from a $XXXXXX lead contamination status. Obtained classification accuracy of > 85%.
May 2016 - Present
◦ Developed a Support Vector Machine model to identify novel genome-wide brain specific genes associated
with Autism Spectrum Disorders using over 10GB of gene interaction networks combined with individual
genetic profiles to identify novel therapy targets.
◦ Recruited 100 customers for validation of product, established board of directors, directed establishment
of company charter, and secured several rounds of funding.
UMass Amherst Department of Biology
• Research Assistant
Aug 2013 - Present
◦ Planned and executed multiple research projects using genetic mouse models that identified necessity of
molecular clocks in the brain for normal reproductive physiology.
◦ Optimized and conducted bioluminescence assays as well as imaging analyses to localize effect of a new
mutant hamster identified in the lab to the brain.
• Life Scientist
Sep 2009 - Aug 2013
◦ Curated, developed, and expanded scientific research database for autism [AutDB] that was licensed by
Simons Foundation as SFARI Gene.
◦ Led cross-functional teams and coordinated with stakeholders to meet project goals and deadlines.
◦ Utilized genetic, copy number, and protein interaction data from AutDB to identify novel biomarkers for
University of Massachusetts Amherst
• PhD in Neuroscience & Behavior
Aug 2013 – Dec 2018
State University of New York at Buffalo
• MS in Neuroscience
Aug 2007 – Aug 2009
George Mason University
• BS in Biology
Aug 2003 - May 2007
• Kumar A., Manoogian E. N. C., Kreppel F., O’Neill J. S., & Bittman E. L. ”A mutation that alters
circadian circuitry reduces jet lag”, In preparation
• Manoogian E. N. C., Kumar A., Obed D., Bergan J., & Bittman E. L. (2018) ”Suprachiasmatic function
in a circadian period mutant: neuronal cell activation and Per1 expression in duper hamsters”, Eur J.
Neurosci. In press
• Kumar A., Swanwick, C. C., Johnson N., Menashe I., Basu N. S., Bales E. M., & Banerjee-Basu S.
(2011), A brain region-specific predictive gene map for autism derived by profiling a reference gene set”,
PLoS One 6: e28431
• Kumar A., Wadhawan R., Swanwick C. C., Kollu R., Basu N. S., & Banerjee-Basu S. (2011), Animal
model integration to AutDB, a genetic database for autism”, BMC Medical Genomics 4:15
• Global Employee Recognition Award, Silver, GlaxoSmithKline 2019
• Merit Award Winner, Society for Research on Biological Rhythms 2018
• Award winner, GRiD Hack2O Hackathon, University of Massachusetts Amherst
• 2nd place, Innovation Challenge Final, University of Massachusetts Amherst - $20,000
• 1st place, Innovation Challenge Seed Pitch, University of Massachusetts Amherst - $5,000
• 2nd place, Innovation Challenge MinutePitch, University of Massachusetts Amherst - $750
• Deans List, George Mason University