We are going to show you a profile for a few seconds.
When we are done we will ask you a few questions about the resume.
Don't worry about remembering everything, we just want you to gauge your first impression of this job seeker.
The timer on the right will count down for you.
Click here when you are ready:
Digital Sanitation Engineer
Philadelphia, PA 19125
PGP key fingerprint: 18C3 BD77 124B D5C9 9B6D E4E3 2BAB 8E18 1372 03A4
Solutions engineer with a track record of designing, implementing, and documenting secure, mission-critical systems and storage. Experience from startups to Fortune 500 firms in the financial services, marketing, social media, and IT solutions verticals.
> Drove Commvault's Personalization service from speculative to profitable Professional Services offering.
> Planned and executed (within a large team) firm-wide data center migration & modernization as part of the Bank One / JPMC merger.
> Developed reliable automation and orchestration tools lacking in data protection software for several employers and consulting customers.
Root Cause Analysis
Log management & monitoring
Storage Allocation & Capacity Planning
Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity Planning
DevOps management & integration
User Training & Support
Experience & Accomplishments
Digital Sanitation Engineer
RezScore — http://jobs.rezscore.com/ — Philadelphia, PA Jan 2019 - present
• Driving a reliable and secure Ubuntu Linux systems platform for growth stage resume analysis / job recruiting startup.
• Building DevOps functionality into the infrastructure early.
• Supporting Django application development and PostgreSQL databases.
Senior Implementation Consultant
Siren — https://siren.io/ — Philadelphia, PA Feb 2019 - Mar 2019
• Supporting US sales associates as a technical resource during pre-sales process of Siren’s Investigative Intelligence semantic search product.
Philadelphia, PA Dec 2017 - Dec 2018
• Building a password manager in Perl that retains its primary store on physically removable storage rather than in the cloud. See also, http://github.com/0x6772/grapple/.
• Learning the Google Maps API to eventually improve the functionality of http://cocktailsoftheworld.net/.
Commvault Systems — Tinton Falls, NJ Nov 2014 - Nov 2017
• Collaborated with >100 clients as a member of Professional Services Personalization Team—built automation, customization, and reporting to fulfill customer requests. Subject matter expert for Commvault's Workflow Automation and Custom Reporting.
• Helped close >$50M in 3 new business over 3 years—supported Sales Associates and Engineers to scope team's services for potential customers; explained value proposition of Workflow Engine automation tool.
• Saved >$500,000, across various customers over 3 years, in monthly archive maintenance cost by creating recovery point objectives for applications across Windows, Unix, and Linux application servers and Oracle & SQL Server DBs. Sequenced backups for each system.
• Integrated Commvault Workflow automation with DevOps system management software and asset inventory systems. Created Workflows, Unix shell, Microsoft PowerShell and Perl scripts and the Puppet & Chef configuration to run them.
• Created Perl scripts to process exported NetBackup and NetWorker configuration and to generate matching data protection configuration in Commvault—used to effect customer migration from competing products.
GlassHouse Tech. / Signature Tech. Group / Pride Technologies — Framingham, MA Nov 2009 - Oct 2014
• Worked closely with startups and Fortune 500 clients to analyze IT requirements, needs and resources. Subject matter expert on Unix/Linux systems, data protection (NetBackup, Commvault, NetWorker, TSM, Avamar), and storage devices (Dell, HP, EMC, NetApp, DataDomain.
• Installed & customized Splunk App for PCI Compliance. Provided code and configuration within development team.
• Led a team of XXXXXX matter experts for a managed-hosting provider's full datacenter migration, from EMC devices to NetApp devices. Wrote, tested, and refined SMOPs and runbooks for L1 staff to execute.
• Served as Backup Associate for hedge fund based in Westport, CT.
• Partnered with Unix, Linux, Windows, and VMware systems administrators, network administrators, and with application developers to protect firm's information assets at all layers.
• Managed existing NetBackup and legacy EMC Networker environments, providing data protection to physical and virtual Linux and Windows systems and to NetApp NAS storage.
• Represented data protection for planning stage of a systems migration to a hybrid (public/private) cloud.
• Administrated EMC DataDomain deduplicated storage and HP tape libraries.
Systems / Storage / Backup consultant
Snooth Inc — New York, NY Jul 2007 to Jun 2010
• Built and documented a bare-bones backup tool, relying only on rsync and SSH, to provide data protection, resiliency, and disaster recoverability for a growth-phase social media startup.
• Provided periodic Debian and Red Hat Linux systems administration support and training for 5+ professionals, partnering with Snooth's PHP developers.
Senior Systems Engineer
Radian Group — Philadelphia, PA Aug XXXXXX 2009
• Spearheaded HP-UX, RedHat Linux, and VMware ESX systems administration and NetBackup data protection for national mortgage insurance firm. Reported to Unix Team Lead and Director of Storage & Datacenter.
• Provided support for EMC Symmetrix, DMX, Clariion, and Celerra disk storage.
• Implemented tape hardware encryption, using Decru DataFort inline fibre channel devices. Later, migrated StorageTek tape libraries to LTO-4 tape drives with embedded hardware encryption.
• Authored standards and practices to ensure recoverability throughout the DataFort-encrypted media's lifecycle.
• Automated NetBackup's Vault reporting and Iron Mountain SecureSync Tape Management web application interface with tools built in Perl.
Open Systems Engineer
Bank One / JP Morgan Chase — Columbus, OH / Wilmington, DE Aug 2004 to Jul 2006
• Accountable for NetBackup environments at 10+ remote data center locations, providing tier 2 remediation of backup failures, and partnering with application owners to onboard their Unix, Linux, and Windows systems, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL Server database systems, and custom-built applications.
• Administrated Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Red Hat Linux, and Windows systems for NetBackup server environment.
• Engaged in 24/7 on-call rotation to provide tier 2 out-of-hours support for backup or system failures.
• Built Perl automation to manage StorageTek tape libraries and DataDomain deduplicated storage devices.
• Promoted to engineering team, providing tier 3 support across all backup environments. Built systems automation and backup job sequencing tools in Unix shell and Perl, and integrated into CA AutoSys.
• Upon merger between Bank One and JPMC, planned and executed data center modernization, migration, and consolidation project, moving from 20+ local data centers across the US to 3 regional data centers.
Unix & Linux System Administrator
Transcontinental CCXXXXXX — Ivyland, PA Jan 2002 to Jun 2004
• Administrated 10+ Solaris and 50+ Red Hat Linux systems for nationally recognized direct mail marketing firm.
• Partnered with 6 developers, 2 Oracle DBAs, 2 Cisco network administrators, 4 IBM z/OS mainframe SysOps, and 4 Windows system administrators in support of innovative systems to track marketing leads and mailing lists.
• Automated systems administration and SAN fabric management processes, monitored system and RDBMS in Nagios. Integrated Unix/Linux systems with Active Directory through OpenLDAP for user authentication.
• Led a project to replace ad hoc system backups with Veritas NetBackup. Put disaster recovery process in place where none had previously existed. Participated in on-premise data center modernization project.
Bachelor of Arts, Computer Science — Swarthmore College, 2004
Platforms: Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, BSD), Linux (Red Hat, Debian, SUSE), macOS, Microsoft Windows
Storage management: EMC storage arrays & management software, NetApp, DataDomain
Data protection software Veritas NetBackup & BackupExec, Commvault, EMC/Legato NetWorker, Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)
Log management software: syslog, rsyslog, Splunk
DevOps system management: Puppet, Chef, Docker
Programming languages: C, C++, Perl, Python, PHP, sh, sed, awk, Java
Firewalls & security: BSD IP Filter, Linux IP Chains and IP Tables, SSH (SCP & SFTP), IPSec, Apache's mod_ssl, PGP & GnuPG/GPG
DNS management: BIND, djbdns
SMTP/email systems: Sendmail, Postfix, qmail, procmail, SpamAssassin, MailMan
Web serving: Apache httpd
Network file sharing: NFS, Samba (SMB/CIFS), automount/autofs, rsync, FTP, SCP, SFTP
Authentication: NIS, LDAP (OpenLDAP, Perl's Net::LDAP)
Database environments: Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server