Digital Sanitation Engineer
Philadelphia, PA 19125
PGP key fingerprint: 18C3 BD77 124B D5C9 9B6D E4E3 2BAB 8E18 1372 03A4
Solutions engineer with a track record of designing, implementing, and documenting secure, mission-critical systems and storage. Experience from startups to Fortune 500 firms in the financial services, marketing, social media, and IT solutions verticals.
> Drove Commvault's Personalization service from speculative to profitable Professional Services offering.
> Planned and executed (within a large team) firm-wide data center migration & modernization as part of the Bank One / JPMC merger.
> Developed reliable automation and orchestration tools lacking in data protection software for several employers and consulting customers.
Root Cause Analysis
Log management & monitoring
Storage Allocation & Capacity Planning
Disaster Recovery & Business Continuity Planning
DevOps management & integration
User Training & Support
Experience & Accomplishments
Digital Sanitation Engineer
RezScore — http://jobs.rezscore.com/ — Philadelphia, PA Jan 2019 - present
• Driving a reliable and secure Ubuntu Linux systems platform for growth stage resume analysis / job recruiting startup.
• Building DevOps functionality into the infrastructure early.
• Supporting Django application development and PostgreSQL databases.
Senior Implementation Consultant
Siren — https://siren.io/ — Philadelphia, PA Feb 2019 - Mar 2019
• Supporting US sales associates as a technical resource during pre-sales process of Siren’s Investigative Intelligence semantic search product.
Philadelphia, PA Dec 2017 - Dec 2018
• Building a password manager in Perl that retains its primary store on physically removable storage rather than in the cloud. See also, http://github.com/0x6772/grapple/.
• Learning the Google Maps API to eventually improve the functionality of http://cocktailsoftheworld.net/.
Commvault Systems — Tinton Falls, NJ Nov 2014 - Nov 2017
• Collaborated with >100 clients as a member of Professional Services Personalization Team—built automation, customization, and reporting to fulfill customer requests. Subject matter expert for Commvault's Workflow Automation and Custom Reporting.
• Helped close >$50M in 3 new business over 3 years—supported Sales Associates and Engineers to scope team's services for potential customers; explained value proposition of Workflow Engine automation tool.
• Saved >$500,000, across various customers over 3 years, in monthly archive maintenance cost by creating recovery point objectives for applications across Windows, Unix, and Linux application servers and Oracle & SQL Server DBs. Sequenced backups for each system.
• Integrated Commvault Workflow automation with DevOps system management software and asset inventory systems. Created Workflows, Unix shell, Microsoft PowerShell and Perl scripts and the Puppet & Chef configuration to run them.
• Created Perl scripts to process exported NetBackup and NetWorker configuration and to generate matching data protection configuration in Commvault—used to effect customer migration from competing products.
GlassHouse Tech. / Signature Tech. Group / Pride Technologies — Framingham, MA Nov 2009 - Oct 2014
• Worked closely with startups and Fortune 500 clients to analyze IT requirements, needs and resources. Subject matter expert on Unix/Linux systems, data protection (NetBackup, Commvault, NetWorker, TSM, Avamar), and storage devices (Dell, HP, EMC, NetApp, DataDomain.
• Installed & customized Splunk App for PCI Compliance. Provided code and configuration within development team.
• Led a team of XXXXXX matter experts for a managed-hosting provider's full datacenter migration, from EMC devices to NetApp devices. Wrote, tested, and refined SMOPs and runbooks for L1 staff to execute.
• Served as Backup Associate for hedge fund based in Westport, CT.
• Partnered with Unix, Linux, Windows, and VMware systems administrators, network administrators, and with application developers to protect firm's information assets at all layers.
• Managed existing NetBackup and legacy EMC Networker environments, providing data protection to physical and virtual Linux and Windows systems and to NetApp NAS storage.
• Represented data protection for planning stage of a systems migration to a hybrid (public/private) cloud.
• Administrated EMC DataDomain deduplicated storage and HP tape libraries.
Systems / Storage / Backup consultant
Snooth Inc — New York, NY Jul 2007 to Jun 2010
• Built and documented a bare-bones backup tool, relying only on rsync and SSH, to provide data protection, resiliency, and disaster recoverability for a growth-phase social media startup.
• Provided periodic Debian and Red Hat Linux systems administration support and training for 5+ professionals, partnering with Snooth's PHP developers.
Senior Systems Engineer
Radian Group — Philadelphia, PA Aug XXXXXX 2009
• Spearheaded HP-UX, RedHat Linux, and VMware ESX systems administration and NetBackup data protection for national mortgage insurance firm. Reported to Unix Team Lead and Director of Storage & Datacenter.
• Provided support for EMC Symmetrix, DMX, Clariion, and Celerra disk storage.
• Implemented tape hardware encryption, using Decru DataFort inline fibre channel devices. Later, migrated StorageTek tape libraries to LTO-4 tape drives with embedded hardware encryption.
• Authored standards and practices to ensure recoverability throughout the DataFort-encrypted media's lifecycle.
• Automated NetBackup's Vault reporting and Iron Mountain SecureSync Tape Management web application interface with tools built in Perl.
Open Systems Engineer
Bank One / JP Morgan Chase — Columbus, OH / Wilmington, DE Aug 2004 to Jul 2006
• Accountable for NetBackup environments at 10+ remote data center locations, providing tier 2 remediation of backup failures, and partnering with application owners to onboard their Unix, Linux, and Windows systems, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Microsoft SQL Server database systems, and custom-built applications.
• Administrated Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Red Hat Linux, and Windows systems for NetBackup server environment.
• Engaged in 24/7 on-call rotation to provide tier 2 out-of-hours support for backup or system failures.
• Built Perl automation to manage StorageTek tape libraries and DataDomain deduplicated storage devices.
• Promoted to engineering team, providing tier 3 support across all backup environments. Built systems automation and backup job sequencing tools in Unix shell and Perl, and integrated into CA AutoSys.
• Upon merger between Bank One and JPMC, planned and executed data center modernization, migration, and consolidation project, moving from 20+ local data centers across the US to 3 regional data centers.
Unix & Linux System Administrator
Transcontinental CCXXXXXX — Ivyland, PA Jan 2002 to Jun 2004
• Administrated 10+ Solaris and 50+ Red Hat Linux systems for nationally recognized direct mail marketing firm.
• Partnered with 6 developers, 2 Oracle DBAs, 2 Cisco network administrators, 4 IBM z/OS mainframe SysOps, and 4 Windows system administrators in support of innovative systems to track marketing leads and mailing lists.
• Automated systems administration and SAN fabric management processes, monitored system and RDBMS in Nagios. Integrated Unix/Linux systems with Active Directory through OpenLDAP for user authentication.
• Led a project to replace ad hoc system backups with Veritas NetBackup. Put disaster recovery process in place where none had previously existed. Participated in on-premise data center modernization project.
Bachelor of Arts, Computer Science — Swarthmore College, 2004
Platforms: Unix (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, BSD), Linux (Red Hat, Debian, SUSE), macOS, Microsoft Windows
Storage management: EMC storage arrays & management software, NetApp, DataDomain
Data protection software Veritas NetBackup & BackupExec, Commvault, EMC/Legato NetWorker, Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM)
Log management software: syslog, rsyslog, Splunk
DevOps system management: Puppet, Chef, Docker
Programming languages: C, C++, Perl, Python, PHP, sh, sed, awk, Java
Firewalls & security: BSD IP Filter, Linux IP Chains and IP Tables, SSH (SCP & SFTP), IPSec, Apache's mod_ssl, PGP & GnuPG/GPG
DNS management: BIND, djbdns
SMTP/email systems: Sendmail, Postfix, qmail, procmail, SpamAssassin, MailMan
Web serving: Apache httpd
Network file sharing: NFS, Samba (SMB/CIFS), automount/autofs, rsync, FTP, SCP, SFTP
Authentication: NIS, LDAP (OpenLDAP, Perl's Net::LDAP)
Database environments: Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server