Kaibin (Haley) Gao
Houston, TX 77005 (XXX) XXX-XXXX XXXX@XXXX.XXX EDUCATION Rice University May 2020
• Related Skills: Object-Oriented Programming, Data Structure, Functional Programming, Full-stack Development,
Database Management, Probabilistic Algorithm, Operating Systems, Parallel Programming, Game Development (Unity) RELEVANT EXPERIENCE Lodging Shopping Team, Expedia Group, San Francisco, CA May 2019 – August 2019
Software Engineer Intern
• Developed new features on price display throughout the lodging shopping experience as a full-stack developer,
optimizing user experience and improving quality of traffics directing to checkout step.
• Redesigned and implemented the API that provides property amenities information to increase scalability, and resolved
legacy issues of misleading information that impact all listing properties.
• Collaborated with different teams on design sprints, user demand discussion, implementation requirements, etc.
• Development involved usage of React, Java, Kotlin, and GraphQL. Atlas Team, Schlumberger, Houston, TX May 2018 – August 2018
Software Engineer Intern
• Developed and deployed a configurable dashboard for surveillance and condition-based maintenance of internet-
connected oil and gas equipment in Angular 6 and Golang.
• Designed and implemented data models, services, and algorithms to store configurations for individual assets across
different levels, and populate its usage to different components of the application.
• Gained experience with the Agile development process, Git version control, VSTS, Google Cloud Platform (Google App
Engine, Google Datastore, etc.). Scalable Health Lab, Rice University, Houston, TX May 2017 – August 2017
Undergraduate Research Assistant
• Conducted research to build scalable health technology for the Rice gym.
• Developed a mobile application that helps gym users track personal workout data which is collected by various sensors
deployed on the sports equipment at the Rice gym.
• Restructured and rewrote the backend Node.js code to process data and handle requests, and redesigned the database to
adjust the data pipeline for practical situations.
• Programmed on the RaspberryPi to ensure data is collected and sent to the server consistently. Deployed the
RaspberryPi, hall effect sensors and photocell sensors on sports equipment. Rice Apps - Owlection Team, Rice University, Houston, TX September 2017 – September 2018
• Used Angular 2, Google App Engine (Python), etc. to develop and maintain the elections platform Owlection, a web
application for students to vote in elections among student organizations or residential colleges. Quality Assurance Team, OpenStax, Houston, TX October 2017 – May 2018
Software Test Automation Engineering Intern
• Conducted manual testing, manage test cases and build Python automation tests using Selenium Web Driver for different
projects in OpenStax. ACTIVITIES Baker College, Rice University, Houston, TX March 2017 – Present
Peer Academic Advisor (PAA)
• Offer accurate advice regarding specific classes, research opportunities, study abroad, and academic rules, regulations,
and procedures, or any topic as it relates to academics, to peer Rice students.
• Coordinate numerous group and individual activities with other PAAs to strengthen the academic vitality at my
residential college (i.e. Academic Planning Sessions).