We are looking for a Controller to join our fast-growing team, with the goal of developing and executing accounting policies and processes for our future stages of growth. This individual will be working closely with our VP of Finance and Operations and business unit leaders to ensure that our books are kept up to date for quick decision making and reporting. The ideal candidate must be extremely detail-oriented, efficient, collaborative, and have a deep understanding of GAAP.
In a fast-changing startup, the role will require the Controller to be flexible, open-minded, hands-on, and able to operate with a scalable yet adaptable mindset. You'll be responsible for managing all accounting-related systems and processes of the company including, but not limited to, budgeting, general company accounting practices, payroll, taxes, and regulatory filings, designing and monitoring internal controls, and maintaining financial information systems. Partnering with other members of the finance team, this role will be very hands-on in owning the entire accounting process - from setting policy, maintenance of day to day accounting functions, and the production of financial statements, management reports, and board-level summaries.
This leader will need input from a variety of our departments and must be an effective collaborator, working cross-functionally with other team leads to ensure that we have a scalable process in place to manage accounting in a GAAP compliant way while the organization continues to rapidly grow.
We're looking for a motivated, self-starter who is comfortable wearing multiple hats and thrives in a dynamic environment. You must be nimble, highly-collaborative, and able to think on your feet. This is a great opportunity to join a rapidly accelerating startup that has dozens of Fortune 1000 and mid-market clients on its roster.
- Oversee and execute our general accounting function including cash position, accounts receivable and payable, cash forecasts, fixed assets, and other general ledger activities such as month-end close, account review and reconciliation procedures.
- Create and implement accounting systems and controls that scale with company growth. Evaluate and manage a stage-appropriate accounting systems stack.
- Identify areas of risk and opportunity for the business. Develop and maintain policies and procedures affecting areas of responsibility and all areas requiring fiduciary responsibility. Ensure compliance with company standards and regulatory requirements.
- Design and manage company accounting policies for compliance under GAAP and ensure audit readiness for the organization.
- Oversee planning, compliance, and filing of federal, state and local taxes with support from tax accountants; manage audits and quarterly compliance reviews. Own relationship with external auditors and tax accountants.
- Effectively communicate with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- 4-6 years of overall experience in accounting roles with at least 2 years of management-level experience.
- Bachelor's degree required; concentration in Accounting or Finance preferred. Big 4 experience and CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- High-growth SaaS experience with venture-backed startups is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of corporate finance, GAAP, and other accounting theory, principles, and practices related to SaaS accounting, prepaid expenses & deferred revenue, revenue recognition, and stock-based compensation.
- Demonstrated experience in all core responsibility areas: general accounting, payroll, tax, budgets, three statement reporting, P&L, licenses, and filings. Experience in implementing general ledger functions.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with payroll, income, and sales tax processes at both federal and state levels, including Washington and California, R&D Tax Credits, local business registrations, tax compliance, and all associated filings.
- Possess solid business acumen in order to comprehend the organization strategy and understand how Finance impacts that strategy.
- Proficiency in working with financial accounting software such as QuickBooks Online, Expensify, Carta, Stripe, Ordway Subscription Billing Platform, Avalara, etc.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Docs.
- Maintains a high level of time-sensitive work prioritization, accuracy, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively embrace and drive positive, transformational change.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, open office environment.
- Self-sufficient, results-oriented with a commitment to quality, service and customer satisfaction.
- The ability to work independently and thrive in a highly ambiguous environment is a must for this role.
Our solution measures shifts in sentiment from customer experience to win back consumers and activate fans. We gives marketers, product managers, and customer experience leaders the keys to their customers’ hearts through historical insights into brand loyalty and shifting emotions to support customer-centric decisions. The company powers millions of consumer interactions across billions of mobile devices each month, and helps the world’s top brands—including JetBlue, Buffalo Wild Wings, Overstock.com, Viacom, NPR, Capital One, and Zillow—proactively listen to and engage with their consumers to enhance customer love and improve customer experience.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO) and generous family leave policies
- 401k, HRA/FSA and monthly Orca pass
- Top-tier medical, dental, and vision insurance- Company pays 100% of premiums
- Paid professional development (conferences/courses)
- A chance to build something great with other amazing people