Lead, Embedded Engineer
New York, NY
We are the first sleep fitness company. We design products at the forefront of sleep innovation. Our mission is to fuel human potential through optimal sleep. We use innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better.
Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, we’ve raised 68 million to date. We were recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics in 2018.
Our temperature-regulated smart bed is an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. It was named one of Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2019. We’re excited by the recognition and still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission.
That's why we are looking for a Lead Embedded Engineer to enable our hardware and software innovations in our smart bed technologies. Our embedded software controls the bed, receives and ships sensor data, and interfaces with our back-end systems to create a unique experience for our members.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about designing, implementing, and supporting fast but reliable innovations appreciating the impact they have on all aspects of the member experience. We look for people who dig under the hood and understand what the technology is doing, so we can make wise decisions about how our technology should evolve.
How you will contribute:
- Partner with designers, product managers, hardware engineers, and software engineers to build the first-ever sleep fitness solution
- Build critical features such as controlling bed temperature based on member settings and live reactions to member behavior
- Work on increasing reliability, testability, backward compatibility, and scalability of our systems
- Ensure velocity and quality through design, processes, and tools in a CI/CD environment
- Own and proactively support what you put into production
What you need to succeed:
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent experience
- 7+ years experience building embedded and back-end systems
- 2+ years in a lead capacity with direct reports and/or mentoring junior engineers
- Prior experience working with hardware or IoT product
- Proficiency in C, C++, Rust, and embedded programming
- An excellent understanding of software engineering fundamentals and best practices
- Desire to work on-site at our office in Flatiron
Bonus points for:
- Experience dealing with production systems at scale dealing with streaming data / processes and large amounts of data
- Experience working with cloud-hosted systems (AWS preferred)
- Nice to have: experience with C#, Node with Typescript, SQL, and NoSQL
- Experience in the healthcare, wellness, and/or eCommerce / retail company or have familiarity with health data and eCommerce trends and best practices