Staff Database Reliability Engineer
Engineering – Infrastructure
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Solve for what’s next—at PagerDuty.
Why We Need You
Are you a savvy developer with strong automation experience who is passionate about database administration, performance tuning, backup and recovery, and scalability?
Do you have a deep knowledge of distributed systems?
Do you have a knack for teaching, mentoring others, and sharing your knowledge?
Do you love Linux systems?
If you answered “yes” to most of the questions above you may be interested in applying for the Senior Database Engineer position. You will find all the information you need below.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- You will build out automation to address database problems like failovers, backups, restores, schema changes, and performance tuning
- You will also be responsible for guiding your fellow engineers so they can be their own Database Administrators
- You will take part in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Passion for databases and their maintenance, management, and scalability challenges. Deeply interested in databases and wish to become a database specialist
- You believe automation is the most appropriate way to address problems at scale
- You are a learner. You love learning new things every day and you get ecstatic when you can apply new knowledge to build new solutions to old problems
- You have an interest in data and databases, and are willing to learn and grow a career in this field
- You have at least two years of experience as a developer. You can write proper code in at least one scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Ruby. Bonus points if you have used Bash, and even more if you know a bit of SQL
- You have experience with a configuration management or orchestration system. More points if you've (ab)used Chef before
- You have some Linux knowledge and maybe some previous experience with Ubuntu or Debian
- Experience with ElasticSearch, Kafka, and Cassandra
- Experience with Object Relational Mappers (ActiveRecord, SQLalchemy, Hibernate, etc.)
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
401K with 1% match
Pre-tax commuter benefits, FSA, cell phone allowance and more!
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days