Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Engineering – Infrastructure
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Solve for what’s next—at PagerDuty.
Do you relish the opportunity to design, build and run mission critical applications? Do you want to get the attention of hundreds of thousands of engineers and technology leaders around the globe 24/7 so they can fix problems? Yes? Then read on to find out more about what makes PagerDuty a great place to be an Engineer!
As a Site Reliability Engineer on our Infrastructure team, you’ll be part of a group that’s intensely focused on our customers and the engineering community. Whether it’s provisioning, continuous integration/deployment, monitoring, or cloud platform management, SREs provide the foundation upon which the PagerDuty product is built and architecting the future.
How You Contribute To Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- You partner with Engineering stakeholders to design and deliver a reliable, scalable, secure, and performant platform
- You continuously strive to improve the customer experience: Full lifecycle support (creation, development, deployment, retirement), observability, flexible connectivity, and monitoring
- You stay current on technical trends in order to suggest innovative tools and approaches to interesting problems
- You share your expertise with the entire Engineering organization
- You participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation. And yes, we use PagerDuty to manage our on-call schedules
About You: Skills and Attributes
- You have solved multiple problems by writing code to automate your way out of them and have a passion for replacing manual processes time and time again with your code
- You have been responsible for running critical services that multiple customers depend upon. You understand the importance and impact that operational optimization can have on a product and the positive ripple effects that it can have across an entire organization
- You believe CI servers, push-button deploys, time-series datastores, metrics dashboards, and centralized logging are not just “nice to haves,” they are critical pieces of infrastructure that rapidly pay for themselves. You are familiar with the tool-space and can suggest products in each of these areas
- You are empathetic: You take others’ opinions into account and clearly communicate your thoughts to reach technical solutions quickly
- You consider it important to understand and appreciate your customers, and enjoy seeing your work improve the work of others
- Excellent knowledge of a scripting language; Ruby, Python or Go
- Experience working on an AWS-based, cloud-native infrastructure and managed services, including EC2, S3 and other storage options, VPCs, IAM, and more
- Experience with Docker in a production environment including container orchestration (e.g. Nomad, Mesos, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Knowledge of configuration management systems like Ansible, Chef or Puppet
- Experience in automating releases, continuous integration/delivery systems and relevant tools (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis CI, Buildkite, etc.)
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform or CloudFormation)
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
401K with 1% match
Pre-tax commuter benefits, FSA, cell phone allowance and more!
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily plus breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain