Senior iOS Engineer
Engineering – Mobile
At PagerDuty, we believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture. Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our monthly Hackdays, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the leading digital operations management platform for businesses. Our SaaS-based solution empowers over 10,000 small, mid-size and enterprise global customers. They rely on our mobile apps to gain insight and respond to critical disruptions on the go. PagerDuty on mobile is trusted by hundreds of users every single day - we need people who are passionate to help us shape the way others see mobile in the incident management space.
We are not afraid to use the latest and greatest tools and languages, such as Swift 4, for our apps to deliver a great iOS phone, tablet, and wearable device experience. We're looking for a Senior iOS Engineer to lead our Mobile Engineering group. As a member of the team, you will use your deep understanding of the iOS platform to make the PagerDuty mobile experience the best it can possibly be.
We've got a great foundation, but need your help to build the next generation of our iOS applications! You will get a chance to work in all of our mobile code bases and the APIs that power them.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- Lead the design and implementation of new user-facing features in iOS
- Be the technical point of contact for mobile-related architecture and implementation
- Build and develop the core mobile infrastructure and tooling around the mobile frameworks
- You will help drive and define mobile standards across all of Engineering by participating in code reviews, giving internal tech talks, etc.
- Collaborate with product, UX, and other engineering teams to deliver the highest quality mobile experiences to all of our supported devices
- Provide guidance, technical leadership, and mentoring to other members of the team
About You: Skills and Attributes
- You have experience in at least one of Swift, Objective-C, C++, or C# (preferably Swift)
- You have deep technical understanding of the iOS SDK and concepts such as Core Graphics and CoreData
- You have extensive knowledge of iOS performance tools and optimization techniques
- You have at least 6 years developing web and/or mobile applications with REST-based APIs
- You have clear communication and ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Empathy - you can clearly communicate your thoughts and opinions to others
- You are fearlessly self-driven
- Exposure to iOS testing with XCTest/KIF or EarlGrey
- Knowledge of MVC or clean application design and reactive, touch-based UI
- Knowledge or prior exposure to React Native
- Development experience working on customer-facing apps with web frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Django, CakePHP, or similar
- Contributions to open source projects (doesn't have to be mobile-related)
- An eye for sleek design
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via monthly Hack Days, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
401K with 1% match
Pre-tax commuter benefits, FSA, cell phone allowance and more!
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time - 20 hours per year
Monthly company wide hack days
Catered lunch daily plus breakfast on Wednesdays, and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient office location in SoMa tech hub – accessible by BART, Muni and CalTrain
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.